Thursday, July 23, 2009

Convention - Mixed Emotions

So, we're heading down to CA tomorrow to visit friends for a week before the National Down Syndrome Convention. We'll spend the first part of the week in the SF Bay Area and the 2nd part in the Sacramento area. The convention is F/Sa/Su next weekend at the Sacramento Convention Center.

I have mixed feelings about going to the convention. It feels like this is our official induction into this club we never expected we'd belong to. We have been able to control how much information and exposure we've had to DS in the past 7 months, but at the conference it will be inescapable. Seeing hundreds of people with DS in one place sounds really overwhelming to me.

On the other hand, I am really looking forward to connecting with some of the other bloggers I've been privileged to be on this journey with and meeting others who deeply understand the emotions we are going through. I'm looking forward to having experts at our fingertips. People who know a lot about DS, not just a little bit about a bunch of different kinds of physical/emotional/mental challenges. No offense to the therapists and special ed teachers we've been working with, but they do not necessarily know the latest research as it pertains specifically to DS. I'm also looking forward to meeting people with DS who will be able to broaden my picture of what it looks like to live with DS as an adult.

I'm hoping to come back with a deeper network, more information and to feel empowered to better care for Nate.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to blog while we're gone, but will be sure to when we get back!

NOTE - FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE CHILDREN WITH DS, BUT ARE NOT GOING TO THE CONVENTION...IF YOU HAVE SPECIFIC QUESTIONS YOU'D LIKE ME TO ASK FOR YOU, PLEASE POST HERE!

Take care,
Danielle

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to meet you and I too have mixed emotions. I'm a bit scared of seeing what the future may or may not hold for us but in the end I know it will be an amazing experience and I'm so hopeful that it will be more than I ever imagined.
    Safe travels and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have time when in Sacto, we'd love to see you. And we are free to watch your kiddos if you need a hand.
    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know what you're feeling! Especially, when John Michael was Nate's age -- I wasn't ready to meet other kids / families. A year later, I'm now dying to meet other families and see kids w/ Ds who are thriving. I've met a couple young men w/ Ds that floored me with how bright they were and how polite they were. Totally broke down some past misperceptions there. It's still heart-breaking at times, but we just keep doing the best we can. Looking forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani - I just found your blog through your facebook post. Next time you're in Sacramento let us know. We live a few miles down the road from the convention center and would love to see you!

    ReplyDelete